Blue Yeti Review: The Scoop On Yeti Microphones
The Yeti by Blue Microphone
You may be looking for a Blue Yeti review online to decide if the Blue Yeti microphone is for you. When you need a smart, versatile and affordable microphone, the Blue Yeti by Blue Microphones delivers all that and more. Blue Microphones offers a series of microphones and accessories to supply a variety of needs. Some of their products include desktop USB microphones, portable microphones, iOS devices and two innovative series of both studio and live performance microphones.
The Yeti belongs to the desktop line of USB microphones and is a stellar performer. The Blue Yeti is unarguably one of the most versatile microphones of its kind, combining advanced technology with audio purity. It is no wonder that the Yeti has been broadly recognized, having received multiple awards, including the MacUSer Editor’s Choice, the Player’s Choice Awards 2011 Acoustic Guitar Silver award, and the V Editor’s Choice award.
The Yeti makers take pride in setting it apart from other USB microphones with its impressive ability to capture any sound with amazing clarity. It is often considered to be the ultimate USB microphone for professional use in recordings. Part of the marketing behind the Blue Microphones is their use of unconventional and captivating names which give their products a personal touch and creates a connection with the target consumer. The Yeti is no exception.
The Story Behind the Yeti
The Yeti was created to be an innovative recording microphone using state-of-the-art USB technology that anyone could use in wide range of environments, from professional musicians down to infrequent users. Additionally, it had to meet the standards for amazing sound quality set out by Blue Microphones, so that it could outperform competitors and rank itself as the best in its class.
The Yeti has many buttons and features, and it has a large size. Wanting to create a warm and friendly image for their creation, the Yeti name was born, drawing upon an association with the mythological Yeti creature. With its design and name, the Yeti stood out with distinct individuality.
Yeti vs. Yeti Pro: What’s the Difference?
Within the Blue Microphones desktop USB category, there are five different models: the Yeti, Yeti Pro, Snowball, Snowball iCE, and the soon-to-be-released Spark Digital. When considering these models, some people wonder what the difference is between the Yeti and the Yeti Pro. They have both won different awards. To properly distinguish them, it is best to examine their unique features:
Yeti Microphone Features:
- Multi-patterned USB microphone
- Innovative triple capsule array
- Can record in stereo or in cardioid, omnidirectional, and bidirectional patterns
- High quality analog-to-digital converter
- Amplifier with built-in headphone
- Plug and play with no driver installation required
- Simplified controls for volume, pattern selecting, and instant mute- all on the mic
- Compatible with PC or Mac
Yeti Pro Microphone Features:
- Combines a resolution of 24 bit/192 kHz digital recording with analog XLR output.
- Three custom condenser capsules
- Four different pattern settings
- Able to capture digital audio four times clearer than the clarity found on CDs
- Cutting-edge A-D converter chip
- Separate analog circuit path to use professionally with studio mixers and preamps.
- Amplifier with built-in headphone
- Direct controls for microphone gain, headphone volume, pattern selection and mute
In essence, the Yeti Pro has everything the Yeti has, but it goes a bit further with the analog XLR output, and a separate analog circuit path. One last difference is that the Yeti has a maximum resolution for recording of 48 kHz/10-bit, while the Yeti Pro has the groundbreaking 192 kHz/24 bit resolution.
What are the Specs for the Yeti Microphone?
As per the manufacturer, the specs are:
- Dimensions (extended in stand): 4.72″ (12cm) x 4.92″(12.5cm) x 11.61″(29.5cm)
- Weight (microphone): 1.2 lbs (.55 kg)
- Weight (stand): 2.2 lbs (1 kg)
Who Should Use the Yeti?
With its four easy-to-use pattern settings, the Yeti truly has a highly versatile range of applications, so it is for almost every application imaginable. The Yeti can be used for podcasts, instruments, choirs, orchestras, field recordings, vocals, interviews, events and voiceovers.
Yeti User Reviews
Yeti users overwhelmingly give the Yeti top ratings. People find it easy to use, solidly built, and a worthy investment. Many also love its modern-twist retro looks, and laud its sound quality and the results achieved since using it. Others find the length of the USB cable very generous. Words used by Yeti reviewers include: “highly recommended”, “streamlined styling”, “cool looks”, “greatest computer-ready microphone”, and “outstanding value”.
As far as the few negatives encountered by users, there may be some issues worth noting, such as those arising from a sometimes-loose USB cord and some faulty gain knobs. Users running Vista on their computers may also experience some technical difficulties where a call to their technical support may be in order.
Summing up this Blue Yeti review, the Yeti microphone seems to deliver what it promises in terms of quality, ease of use and versatility. The creative team behind it certainly made a good effort to produce an original and attractive product that many users enjoy. Best of all, it is an affordable option for a quality microphone that can handle a wide variety of applications.
Incoming search terms:
- blue spark vs snowball
- blue microphones yeti review
- blue spark digital vs blue yeti pro usb microphone
- blue yeti mics vs other mics
- can you use a bue yeti mic for a live performance
- yeti blue wont record stereo